Class of 2018
Reedley High School 10th Grade Counselor
Mr. Hector L. Chapa Jr.
Phone: (559)305-7100 ext. 2270
Greetings Pirates! My name is Mr. Chapa and I have been in the education field for 12 years. I have served in the district as a Classroom Teacher for 9 years and Academic Counselor for 3 years. I have taught in the Foreign Language Department and led as the Department Chair. I have also taught as an A.V.I.D. Teacher and lead as a Coordinator of the program. Currently I am the grade level Counselor for the class of 2018. I am here to support all students in the journey through their four years of high school.
Preparing for College
(Printable version at the bottom of this webpage)
Junior Year Checklist
Not in any particular order
If you are serious about college, you should end the year with a completed checklist
- This year’s academic grades will go a long way toward either helping or hurting your chances of gaining admission to your school of choice. You can make up ground if you’ve been slacking or you can keep up the hard work you’ve already exhibited.
- Take solid elective courses (extra Math, Science, Foreign Language, Social Sciences, etc.)
- Take the PSAT Test in the Fall (Sign-ups are in September) If you have already taken the test, check your score for weaknesses and study, Study, STUDY for the actual SAT in the Spring!
- Take the ACT/SAT in the Spring of your Junior Year!
- If you are enrolled in an AP Course and even if you are not, you are welcomed to pay and take the AP Test(s) in May.
- Reminder: most colleges require a placement test for English and Math, be ready!
- Research possible colleges and request or download information from them – Community Colleges, California State Universities (CSU), Universities of California (UC) and Private Schools.
- If you haven’t done so already, visit the college(s) you are interested in attending – believe it or not they keep track of who is visiting them physically and virtually!
- When possible, visit and explore fastweb.com for scholarships and www.csumentor.com for help planning for college.
- Visit the RHS Career Center and sign-up for presentations or workshops.
- Get a job or volunteer - even if you are not looking to make money it’s about building a strong resume that shows your work ethic!
- Continue to be involved in extracurricular activities now more than ever– clubs, electives, (like NJROTC, AVID and ASB) sports and take leaderships roles!
- Study hard and do well in school to be competitive when applying to college –this is the time to aim for the 3.5 to 4.0 range!
- Attend Fresno Area College Night hosted in September and it’s FREE!
- Get to know your high school counselor (Mr. Chapa) and let him get to know you and your college and/or career goals, etc. Your parents may want to be included!
- Become informed and empowered!
PSAT Testing for the 2016-17 school year is on October 19th. Students should have received practice books for the PSAT. The PSAT is the preliminary SAT and, after taking the exam, scores can be connected to the Kahn Academy to support students in bettering their scores in the actual SAT. For more information, see Mr. Chapa or watch this video https://youtu.be/QIkCoQoZ21U
SAT sign-ups will soon be underway. SAT's are recommended to be taken during the Spring of your Junior Year and Fall of your Senior Year - For more information make an appointment to see your counselor.
ACT sign-ups will soon be underway. ACT's are recommended to be taken during the Spring of your Junior Year and Fall of your Senior Year - For more information make an appointment to see your counselor.
Drivers Education is offered through KCUSD in the summer at Reedley High School (RHS) and Dunlap Leadership Academy (DLA). For more information see your Counselor or visit the Counseling Office.
(pdf. version of instructions at the bottom of this webpage)
Sign up for important updates from H. Chapa. Get information for Reedley High School right on your phone—not on handouts.
Pick a way to receive messages for Class of 2018:
A If you have a smartphone, get push notifications. On your iPhone or Android phone, open your web browser and go to the following link: rmd.at/97548 Follow the instructions to sign up for Remind. You’ll be prompted to download the mobile app. rmd.at/97548 Join Class of 2018 Full Name First and Last Name Phone Number or Email Address (555) 555-5555
B If you don’t have a smartphone, get text notifications. Text the message @97548 to the number 81010. If you’re having trouble with 81010, try texting @97548 to (559) 400-8250. * Standard text message rates apply. To 81010 Message @97548 Don’t have a mobile phone? Go to rmd.at/97548 on a desktop computer to sign up for email notifications